Instructor, Economics / Business AdministrationCaldwell Community College
Instructs classes in assigned division; coordinates assigned activities with other college programs, divisions, departments and outside agencies; and provides responsible and complex administrative support to the Director, Business Programs and to the Department Chair, Career Technical Education.
This is a 9-month position working from mid-August through mid-May.
Examples of Duties
Essential and other responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Instruct 15-22 contact hours; prepare objectives, assignments, grading standards, attendance polices and course syllabus to be distributed at first class meeting; prepare, proctor and grade tests; prepare instructional materials and aids.
- Provide supervisor with objectives and course outlines for each class; begin and end each class on time; turn in reports, final grades and other forms on time; revise course content and objectives as required; administer student evaluations each semester; develop new courses in field as required.
- Assist in the evaluation of activities and operations of assigned program; ensure that operations meet the goals and objectives of the college and the needs of the student population.
- Participate in work activities, projects and programs; coordinate work products, methods and procedures.
- Evaluate and recommend textbooks and materials; make recommendations regarding supply and equipment needs.
- Participate in the academic program's efforts to recruit and retain students; participate in the review and revision of program publications, publicity and other community relations activities.
- Attend various meetings, seminars and conferences; make presentations to outside agencies as a representative of the college; stay abreast of new developments in the assigned area of study.
- Schedule regular office hours for consultation with students; ensure availability during non-scheduled hours by appointment; work closely with probationary advisees; counsel students in academic and employment planning; keep current on graduation and transfer requirements.
- Participates in professional development activities and required employee training.
- Serve on a variety of committees and study groups; research and develop recommendations related to academic and instructional programs; maintain contacts with business, industry, and professional organizations for the purpose of keeping instructional programs current with occupational or academic field.
- Participate in the development and delivery of public information efforts; support college functions/cultural activities; assist in the placement of students.
- Conduct inventory of program equipment as required; assume responsibilities for labs, shops and other facilities designed primarily for the assigned program.
- Assists in the student registration process.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
This position description covers the most essential functions and duties associated with this position. The President or appropriate supervisory personnel may assign additional duties. The College reserves the right to alter duties, responsibilities, conditions, working hours, and job title with or without notice.
Qualifications and Working Conditions
Principles and techniques of classroom instruction.
The mission, goals and objectives of CCC&TI.
Principles and procedures of record keeping.
Principles and techniques involved in test development and administration.
Safe work practices and procedures.
Operational characteristics of equipment and tools used in the area of work assigned.
English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
Modern office procedures, methods and computer equipment.
Current trends, research and development in the area of assignment.
Pertinent federal, state and local laws, codes and regulations.
Interpret and apply college and assigned division goals, objectives, policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
Contribute to the development of academic mission, goals and objectives which complement those of the college.
Prepare clear and concise administrative and financial reports.
Interpret and apply Federal, State and local policies, laws, and regulations.
Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Interpret, explain, and enforce departmental policies and procedures.
Work independently in the absence of supervision.
Provide classroom and/or laboratory instruction to students.
Follow all safety rules and regulations of the Department.
Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
Operate a variety of mechanical equipment in a safe and effective manner.
Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities which may include the following:
standing or sitting for extended periods of time
moderate lifting and carrying
operating assigned equipment.
Maintain effective audio-visual discrimination and perception needed for:
reading and writing
operating assigned equipment
communicating with others
handling varied tasks simultaneously.
Maintain mental capacity which permits:
making sound decisions and using good judgment
demonstrating intellectual capabilities.
Effectively handle a work environment and conditions which involve:
working closely with others
periodically working irregular hours
Office or classroom environment; working closely with others; periodically working irregular hours.
Essential and marginal functions may require maintaining physical condition necessary for standing, walking or sitting for prolonged periods of time; moderate lifting; general manual dexterity; exposure to computer screens.
Experience and Training
Experience teaching at a post-secondary level highly preferred. Also, prior industry and online teaching experience preferred.
Master's degree in economics and / or business related field from an accredited college or university with 18 graduate semester hours in discipline(s) required.
CLOSING DATE: MARCH 17, 2019 Follow the on-line application procedure at www.cccti.edu/jobs. During the online application process, copies of your educational transcripts for all degrees and a current resume must be attached. All materials must be submitted by the closing date. Caldwell Community College & Technical Institute, Hudson, NC.