Distribution System Engineering ManagerCharleston Water System
Location: Hobson North Charleston, SC
Salary Range: $65,041.60 ($31.27/hr) - $104,083.20 ($50.04/hr)
Manage New Installation and Technical Services functions of the Water Distribution Department.
• Provides engineering assistance to the Director, the technical staff, and the field staff as required.
• Investigates, evaluates, and recommends appropriate solutions to the operations and maintenance
deficiencies in the water distribution system.
• Responsible for planning, design, and preparation of plans and specifications for departmental projects.
• Prepares cost estimates for projects.
• Performs hydraulic modeling on existing water distribution system to determine optimal improvements.
• Coordinates special research projects with various outside organizations and agencies.
• Responsible for procuring outside contractors for projects.
• Responsible for project management and work inspections.
• Reviews new CWS and developer plans for accuracy and to ensure that CWS guidelines are met.
• Studies, evaluates, and recommends new water technologies, methods, programs, and materials.
• Oversees the schedule and construction of all new large meter installations.
• Coordinates and makes recommendations to the Specifications Committee concerning new material
technologies and construction procedures.
• Administer, review, and approve bid documents, valve card drawings, extension drawings, permits, work tickets,
leave slips, accident/incident reports, evaluations, new hires, contractor’s invoices, disciplinary letters, etc.
• Perform initial and final review of the infrastructure design of various SCDOT and other agencies construction
projects to determine the impact on Water Distribution System.
• Perform field inspections on construction projects to insure productivity and compliance with OSHA and CWS
• Develop, review, revise, and approve Standard Operating Procedures for department.
• Monitor Productivity Measurement Program and provide recommendations to improve/increase productivity.
• Responsible for the production of departmental annual and periodic reports, projection reports, feasibility
studies, Standard Operating Instructions (SOI), procedural activities, etc.
• Updating and training of standard specifications, details, new technologies, etc.
• Oversees the development, implementation and coordination of system inspection programs.
• May be required to work during emergency conditions.
• Regular attendance is required.
• Job performance must conform to all CWS policies and procedures.
• Specific knowledge of CWS Environmental Management System Policy and Procedures.
• Subject to 24-hour on-call.
• Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
Physical Requirements, Activities, and Working Conditions
• Ability to communicate effectively in writing, verbally, electronically and with a two-way radio, to include
comprehension of complex oral and written instructions.
• Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication and to make fine distinctions in sound, such as
when making adjustments on equipment.
• Ability to operate and maintain motor vehicles.
• Intermittently positions self to maneuver objects weighing up to 25 lbs and occasionally weighing up to 50 lbs.
• Positions self to use up to 50 ft lbs of torque rarely.
• Rarely positions self to move, traverse in the field as necessary to perform required work.
• Considerable movement and traversing involved at work sites on unpaved streets, uneven ground and cluttered
• Routinely ascend/descend a ladder to climb in and out of excavations, embankments, meter vaults,
manholes, confined spaces, etc.
• Constantly works in internal / external environmental conditions.
• Must be able to make visual observations in daylight and night.
• Must be able to wear Personnel Protective Equipment (PPE) as defined in the Job Safety Analysis (JSA) to
perform the required essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited program or a closely related field plus four (4) years’
experience in a utility environment or construction field of which two (2) years must be in a supervisory capacity.
• Ability to use drafting and surveying equipment.
• Must have acquired considerable knowledge of engineering principles and practices within the civil
• Have working knowledge of Kentucky Pipe network modeling program and its accompanying programs.
• Be skilled in computer and software applications, i.e., word processing, spreadsheet, personal computer
applications, report preparation, and project tracking.
• Be adept in using AutoCAD software program and applications.
Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
• Registration as a Professional Engineer preferred.
• “A” level Water Distribution Operator’s License required within 24 months of hire.
• Valid South Carolina Driver's License required.
• OSHA and Departmental safety training as required.
• Skills Based Training.
• Standard Operating Instruction (SOI) per department requirements.
• ISO 14001 standards for department and company.
• See Department Competency and Training Matrix for this position