Director of Human ResourcesCharlotte Area Transit System
The Director of Human Resources is responsible for the administration of human resource policies, programs and practices, including planning, organizing, developing, implementing, coordinating and directing. Duties include formulating policies and procedures for the Human Resources Department and recommending practices to senior management. Position includes managing and coaching performance of support staff and uniform application of the Company's labor agreements with bus operator and maintenance labor unions.
Minimum Education and Experience:
Master's or Bachelor's Degree preferred in Business Admin-istration/Management with coursework in Human Resources, Public Administration and five (5) to ten (10) years general experience in the HR field preferred; or equiv-alent combination of education and experience with five or more years HR managerial experience in urban transportation industry or related field will be considered.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities:
* Directly responsible for the overall administration, coordination, and evaluation of the Human Resources function.
* Provides leadership and direction while managing an assigned support staff of personnel.
* Conducts recruitment efforts with hiring managers, interviews and assists with the selection and final decision process.
* Acts as liaison with area employment agencies, to include temporary agencies. Records status of authorized positions within the company, performs employment verifications and manages the employee referral program.
* Assists the GM and other senior managers in administering, developing and implementing various personnel policies and procedures.
* Ensures effective employee relations through working relationship with union representatives including ensuring compliance with Labor Agreement provisions.
* Administers the Company's performance codes, salaried personnel policies and procedures.
* Responsible for developing and maintaining TMC's Affirmative Action Program. Serves as company EEO Officer on all EEO/AA matters (Title VII, ADA, Harassment, and Workplace Violence issues). Performs investigations and prepares relevant documentation, reports and logs to conform with EEO regulations and recordkeeping.
* Prepares annual performance reviews for supervised staff.
* Responsible for managing Company's Drug and Alcohol Program and serves as Designated Employer Respresentative (DER) for theh program. Includes managing compliance with DOT regulated employee medical standards, monitors FMLA, worker's compensation program, manages Company's employee assistance program. Manages Company's bloodborne pathogen exposure control plan.
* Responds to Employment Security Commission (ESC) requests for unemployment claims information and represents company in related unemployment appeals and hearings.
*Stays current on recent federal, state and case law changes to employees via policies and Compliance Posters.
* Administers classification programs, which includes classifying and reclassifying positions as well as creating and writing job descriptions
* Consults with Company's Legal Counsel as appropriate, and/or as directed by TMC GM on personnel matters.
* Maintains permanent personnel records, provides public information such as verifying employment. Conducts exit interviews.
* Delegates work assignments among staff, gives authority to work independently, sets expectations and monitors delegated activities.
* Participates on committees, special projects and other duties as assignment by the GM.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Extensive knowledge of principles and practices of Human Resources Administration.
* Ability to relate to individuals at all levels. As unique situations present themselves, the incumbent must be sensitive to corporate needs, employee goodwill, and public image.
* Ability to synthesize complex and diverse information.
* Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner and gather and analyze information skillfully
* Ability to communicate effectively both in writing and orally. Ability to prepare clear and concise oral and written correspondence/reports.
* Ability to delegate work assignments setting expectations and monitoring delegated activities.
* Ability to operate Microsoft Office suite programs and other customized transit computerized software applications.
* Ability to inspire and motivate subordinates and others in the organization to perform well.
* Knowledge of principles and practices of personnel administration/management. Knowledge of the organization and operation of administrative programs.
* Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships w/other management staff, employees and the general public
* Prior experience in a unionized environment is not essential but considered to be a plus for candidates in this position.
* Ability to display a willingness to make decisions, exhibit sound and accurate judgment making timely decisions.
* Ability to work beyond regular hours. Work hours could vary. Position will be required on occasion to work beyond the position's regularly scheduled hours. The position is "on call" for staff inquiries concerning handling of employee issues related to the TMC Substance Abuse Policy and workplace injuries