General Maintenance & Grounds Services Worker
General Maintenance & Grounds Services Worker
Chatham University Eden Hall campus welcomes applications for the position of General Maintenance & Grounds Services Worker.
Reporting to the Eden Hall Facilities Director, the General Maintenance & Grounds Services Worker is a facilities maintenance generalist who brings experience/skills across multiple trades and grounds/landscaping tasks (e.g., electrical, carpentry, mechanical, plumbing, painting/drywall, masonry, mowing/cutting, planting/weeding, trimming/blowing, tree care, trail maintenance, snow removal).
The position is expected to identify, carry out and eventually provide oversight to the aforementioned maintenance needs/tasks at Eden Hall Campus. The position is expected to be split approximately 50/50% between general maintenance and grounds work, but the individual assists and supports all Facilities Management-related activities.
Chatham University strives to promote a campus environment that understands and embraces multiculturalism while increasing individuals' intercultural competence. We actively work to build and sustain a diverse and culturally vibrant campus, which promotes employee and student success and retention. Learn more at: https://www.chatham.edu/mission-and-values/diversity-and-inclusion/index.html.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Carry out all maintenance related tasks as assigned to support the Facilities Management department.
- Assist the lead building technician and contractors with operation and maintenance of advanced energy (solar PV/PVT, geothermal, cogeneration, wind, microgrid), water/wastewater, HVAC, and plumbing systems.
- Perform carpentry, masonry, painting/drywall, basic electrical/lighting, plumbing work as needed to repair and maintain campus buildings and facilities.
- Assist Groundskeeper with landscaping/grounds activities, including mowing, planting/weeding, trimming/blowing, tree care, snow removal and related work as needed.
- Perform trails management/maintenance in support of Eden Hall Campus strategic plan and draft trails master plan.
- Assist with special events set-up, break-down, clean up and related activities.
- Assist in additional duties as required to carry out operations of campus buildings, grounds and facilities as needed.
- Participate in the Eden Hall facilities after-hours, on-call rotation to address issues and emergencies that come up outside of normal working hours.
- Experience in multiple of the general trades - including carpentry, masonry, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, painting/drywall - is required with skilled proficiency in at least one being desirable.
- Experience with landscaping/grounds activities and equipment operation is required.
- Licensing/Certification in low voltage electrical, plumbing, HVAC, water/wastewater treatment, sustainable landscaping, arborist is desirable but not required. Other transferable skills considered.
- Experience and familiarity with trails management/maintenance/conservation and interest in further professional development in this area is desirable.
- Experience and familiarity with sustainable land care practices and interest in further professional development in this area is desirable.
- Experience operating full-mid size tractors with rotary cutting equipment attachments is desirable.
- Must be analytical, an independent thinker and highly motivated.
- Must be able to follow directives, complete tasks, work independently, and be flexible as part of larger facilities team.
- Must have the attitude, emotional maturity, and temperament for work in a school setting with a diverse population of students, faculty, and staff. Demonstrated capacity to represent the University well in all interactions with students, parents, visitors, faculty, and other staff.
This position will be filled at the hourly rate of $20-25. 40-hour work week.
How to Apply:
Applications accepted only via www.chatham.edu/careers (direct link is https://chatham.applicantpro.com/jobs/3219879) and follow the instructions to complete the application process. To ensure full consideration, please include:
- Cover Letter outlining your qualifications for the position
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Contact information for three professional references
All application materials should be uploaded at the same time at the time of application. The system will not allow applicants to make edits to their applications after submission.
Chatham University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity. Persons of color, women, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and members of other underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply. Chatham University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, or national origin.