Heavy Equipment Service Technician - SeniorCity of Charlotte
Heavy Equipment Service Technician - Senior
The City of Charlotte management & financial services department is seeking a heavy fleet service technician - senior in our fleet management division. This position is responsible for the daily evaluation, inspection, diagnostic and repair of heavy fleet and equipment for the city of charlotte fleet management division. Fleet includes, but is not limited to medium to heavy-duty trucks, fire apparatus, construction equipment and solid waste trucks.
Diagnoses and repairs complex electronically controlled diesel engines, modern electrical systems, mobile electronic systems, air and braking systems and complex hydraulic systems. In addition, inspects vehicle systems; performs preventative maintenance; and diagnoses repair on failed components of a vehicle's body and/or auxiliary systems including but not limited to city or county mobiles, portables, and other communication devices that may necessitate the use of computer and software systems.
Tag: diesel, mechanic, technician, automotive, heavy equipment, heavy duty, benefits, retirement, vacation requires a high school diploma or an equivalent and at least one (1) year of experience and considerable journey-level knowledge relevant to the nature of work performed. A degree or certification from an accredited technical school, college or university or a manufacturer training certification recognized by ase and at least two years of experience with diagnose and repair of medium to heavy fleet and equipment is highly desired; current ase medium/heavy truck certifications is also highly desired. This is a full-time 2nd shift position at our louise ave facility.
The Work shift is monday - friday 2 pm - 10:30 pm however, candidates must be available to work additional weekend, holiday, overtime shifts and other time as needed due to emergency situations such as inclement weather responsibilities:
* Performs advanced diagnosis and repair of complex electronically controlled diesel engines, modern electrical systems, air and braking systems and complex hydraulic systems.
* Assess and recommend actions for replacement and/or life cycle use of the equipment.
* Utilizes fleet maintenance software to accurately document work performed.
* Must be able to demonstrate advanced knowledge and application for all phases of repairing vehicles/equipment at times, may be required to oversee workflow efforts which require a demonstrated ability to lead a group of people.
* Requires the ability to effectively communicate will all levels of fleet operations and customers to ensure repairs are completed at the customer's satisfaction.
* Interpreting manuals, electrical diagrams and diagnostic software; and experience in translating findings to system documentation and repair types, as well as, estimating repair costs is essential.
* Understanding and following safety procedures is critical with the ability to assess potential safety hazards education:
* Requires graduation from high school or equivalent and two years of relevant experience.
* Prefer a degree or certification from an accredited technical school, college or university or a manufacturer training certification recognized by ase.
* Prefer ase certification(s) applicable to position experience: at least two years of considerable experience in performing journeyman level automotive service technician work on all types of heavy equipment. At least two years of experience with diagnose and repair of medium to heavy fleet and equipment is highly desired.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Knowledge of:
* methods, tools and materials used in maintaining and repairing automotive and related equipment.
* the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade, and the ability to exercise adequate safety precautions against such hazards.
Skilled in: * in the use and care of tools, equipment, and materials used in all types of automotive repair work.
* Diagnose defects in automotive equipment and to perform complex mechanical repairs independently.
* Analyze, evaluate and effectively write diagnosis, recommendation and work performed in order to complete work orders.
* Follow oral and written instructions.
* Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
* Ability to troubleshoot mobile communications equipment malfunctions.
* Ability to operate technical and computer test equipment.