Gas Technician ICity of Monroe NC
GENERAL DEFINITION AND CONDITIONS OF WORK
Performs semiskilled work assisting in the construction of gas utility lines and appurtenances; does related work as required. Work is performed under the moderate supervision of a Gas Crew Leader.
This is medium work requiring the exertion of 50 pounds of force occasionally, up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects, and some heavy work requiring the exertion of 100 pounds of force occasionally, up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects; work requires balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, and repetitive motions; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required for depth perception, color perception, peripheral vision, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, use of measuring devices, assembly or fabrication of parts at or within arms' length, operation of machines, operation of motor vehicles or equipment, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, extreme cold, extreme heat, noise, vibration, hazards, atmospheric conditions, oils, and wearing a self-contained breathing apparatus.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/TYPICAL TASKS
- Assisting with the construction of natural gas service lines, components, and facilities in a safe manner.
- Assists with the construction of natural gas service lines and short main extensions; under direct supervision connects natural gas pipe to components using a variety of fusion techniques; performs pipe leakage tests and assists with purging of facilities; assists in backfilling operations.
- Assists with repairs and remedial action identified in surveys and inspections (i.e., identifying and repairing leaks, atmospheric corrosion; locating and repairing buried valves, etc.).
- Assists in main and service relocations and abandonments.
Uses hand tools to identify underground utilities; installs temporary and permanent markers; obtains measurements for records.
- Assists with installation of new residential and small commercial meter sets, meter reconnections, and residential regulator pressure checks; meter checks for Billing making necessary repairs; and investigating customer and other City Department requests.
- Operates construction equipment such as dump trucks, loaders, tampers, trenchers, air compression driven equipment, and other related light and medium equipment; operates backhoes in locations or tasks requiring less skill; performs preventive maintenance and minor repairs to equipment.
- Participates in setting up protective cones and signs and flagging traffic around construction sites.
- Performs on-the-job training, Operator Qualification (OQ) modules, and OQ skill evaluations to prepare for standby duties.
- May be required to work outside normal hours in emergencies.
- Performs related tasks as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Some knowledge of the maintenance, repair and manual tasks of in gas utility work; some knowledge of the use of common hand and specialized power tools required in the work; general knowledge of the safe use and operation of equipment required in the work; skill in the use of equipment to which assigned; ability to understand oral and written instructions; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the general public.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school and minimal experience in the maintenance, repair, and/or construction of gas lines and facilities.
- Possession of or ability to obtain a Class A commercial driver's license valid in the State of North Carolina within six (6) months of employment.
- Possession of or ability to obtain CPR and basic first aid certification within one year of employment.
- Ability to obtain Technician I Operator and gas line fusion certifications within one year of employment.
Apply online at www.monroenc.org