School Bus DriversGaston Co Schools
The employee will perform work as a bus driver, safely transporting students from home to school to home, on field trips and perform a variety of clerical duties associated with Transportation operations. Employees in this class are responsible for safely transporting up to 78 students per route. Work is subject to outside environmental conditions. Work is supervised by the school Principal and his/her designee.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Safely transports students to and from home and on field trips.
- Performs student counts and gathers information concerning students and routes as required by the School and Transportation Department.
- Obeys all traffic laws.
- Observes all safety regulations for school buses.
- Maintains student discipline, as outlined in Bus Driver Handbook.
- Reports disciplinary matters to the proper authority.
- Keeps assigned bus clean.
- Maintains assigned schedule.
- Checks bus prior to operation for mechanical problems/concerns.
- Notifies the proper authority in case of mechanical failure or schedule delay/lateness.
- Reports all accidents, driving hazards, and other related incidents.
- Adheres to Bus Driver Agreement.
- Must follow Bus Driver’s Handbook.
- Must comply with all NC rules and regulations governing the safe operation of a school bus/passenger vehicle.
- Must comply with all Gaston County Schools’ rules and regulations governing the safe operation of a school bus.
- Must inspect the bus for occupants at the conclusion of each run.
- Expected to serve as a Bus Monitor post-accident.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- General knowledge of routine maintenance requirements of buses.
- Must possess ability to work independently with minimum supervision once the job and route are learned.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Must have good people skills and the ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with school officials, administrators, supervisors, school employees, parents, and students.
- Ability to read, write and maintain records.
- Ability to perform simple calculations.
Contact Daphne Moore for more information 704-866-6223