Campus Police OfficerGaston College
Gaston College is accepting applications for the position of Campus Police Officer - FT
Responsible for maintaining security and safety of persons and property on the College campuses; enforcing federal and state statutes and College rules and regulations; identifying potential security and safety hazards; being observant and responding to potential criminal activity on campus; maintaining good public relations by assisting others as a source of information and direction; controlling and regulating traffic and parking; investigating all security, safety, and traffic incidents.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Monitor buildings and grounds for suspicious activity; safeguard College property from theft and damage through routine patrol; ensure that required doors and windows are locked; unlock and lock doors as needed.
- Ensure safe travel throughout campus by directing traffic during peak periods and emergencies; reserving parking spaces for special events; keeping lots and thoroughfares unobstructed.
- Protect faculty, staff, students, visitors, and their property through crisis and conflict intervention.
- Investigate suspicious, illegal, or unauthorized activities that occur on campus.
- Conduct investigations on vehicle accidents, missing or stolen property, vandalism, or any other criminal activity
- Answer calls for services for disabled vehicles, escort services, bank deposits and pick-ups, and issue parking violations.
- Be alert for conditions which may be unsafe or cause physical harm to individuals on campus and make whatever corrections or notifications necessary to correct the situation immediately, or as soon as possible.
- Provide security for College-sponsored events.
- Testify in court and at disciplinary hearings as required.
- Assist in medical emergencies, fire evacuation, tornado warning, bomb threat, and exercise drills.
- Serve on College committees and panels when requested.
- Prepare and provide incident/accident reports for staff, students, and general public.
- Maintain a high standard of professionalism in representing the College including confidentiality in all aspects of the position’s responsibilities and adherence to policies, procedures, and other established guidelines. Adhere to professional accountability and accept responsibility for managing situations and problems. Work cooperatively with team members and colleagues, contributing positively and constructively to the achievement of team and College objectives and provide a high level of service to customers by establishing and maintaining effective working relationships and partnerships.
- Perform other related duties incidental to work described herein.
Minimum Education Qualifications:
Associate degree (or higher) from a regionally accredited institution required.
Associate degree (or higher) from a regionally accredited institution in police science, criminal justice, or a related field preferred.
The associate degree requirement may be waived if the applicant has been awarded the Advanced Certificate by the North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission.
(Advanced Certificate must be submitted with application.)
Completion of North Carolina BLET required.
North Carolina Certified Law Enforcement Officer required.
Minimum Experience Qualifications:
Minimum of two years’ law enforcement experience required.
Moderate physical labor may be required on occasion and working outside in adverse weather conditions is common.
Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds, to walk up and down stairs, and to walk for extended periods of time.
Must be able to work variable hours at multiple campuses, including weekends, holidays, and rotating shifts.
Must have a clean criminal history and possess a valid driver’s license with no DUI.
Fingerprinting required upon hire.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the position's duties and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may be assigned, which should not be construed as expanding the position's role, scope, and/or grade.