Coordinator - Student Life & Special Projects
Gaston College is seeking to fill the following position: Coordinator - Student Life & Special Projects
Provide leadership, coordinate, plan, manage, and execute a wide variety of co-curricular programs designed to promote student retention and success. Responsible for day-to-day administrative supervision of student activities functions, including directly supervising student leaders. Support student organizations and coordinate various services and processes to maximize efficiency and effectiveness of student activities and special projects. Serve as advisor and budget manager to specific clubs. Communicate effectively with diverse internal and external groups, anticipate problems, reconcile conflicts, and maintain a strong philosophical base for student activities. Position reports to the Dean of Student Development.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide leadership to the College in strategic planning, resource allocation, supervision, program development and outcomes assessment for student activities and student organizations.
- Plan, manage, and execute programs and activities to promote student retention and academic achievement through participation in educationally purposeful activities. Engage students in co-curricular activities that contribute significantly to student success and student satisfaction within the College environment.
- Responsible for day-to-day administrative supervision of student activities functions and student organizations, including directly supervising student leaders.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate goals and objectives; interpret and articulate state and College policies and procedures related to the assigned area of responsibility.
- Communicate effectively with diverse internal and external groups, anticipate problems, reconcile conflicts, and maintain a strong philosophical base for student activities.
- Maintain and expect professionalism in the performance of duties. Foster collaboration, collegiality, and support of student clubs; coordinate various services and processes to maximize efficiency and effectiveness of student activities, student organizations, and special projects.
- Manage the SGA budget in conjunction with the Dean of Student Development. Serve as advisor and budget manager to specific clubs including, but not limited to, the Student Government Association and Gamma Beta Phi. Ensure smooth involvement of students, faculty, and staff in student activities and programs
- Work with state and community organizations involved in programs beneficial to Gaston College students (examples: leadership, citizenship, personal growth, etc.).
- Coordinate tools such as IntelliResponse and manage SGA and GBP social media accounts.
- Coordinate faculty club advisors and maintain regular communication with clubs regarding activities. Provide support and assistance to club advisors.
- Responsible for the registration of student clubs and monitoring the conduct of club business and activities according to Gaston College approved guidelines.
- Work closely with the Marketing and Public Relations Office in communicating information regarding student activities and services.
- Provide advice and intervene when necessary to ensure student success and compliance with Gaston College Code of Conduct and Policies.
- Coordinate documentation of procedures; review and process requests for equipment repair, travel, supply purchases, and reimbursements.
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with College co-workers and professional peers.
- Serve on appropriate institutional committees involved in student life.
- Attend and/or represent the College at professional meetings, conferences, and workshops beneficial to the operation of the department.
- Coordinate and/or implement special projects as needed and/or assigned by supervisor.
- Provide administrative assistance to executive management on matters related to student activities and special projects.
- Assist as needed with Student Affairs functions such as admissions, test coordination, advising, student registration, retention, and recruitment.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM EDUCATION QUALIFICATIONS:
- Master’s degree from a nationally accredited institution in student personnel, higher education, counseling, or a closely related field required.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Three years of related professional experience working in student affairs, coordinating student activities and programs, or event management required.
- Extensive knowledge of higher education, student affairs philosophy, best practices, and the policies and procedures of a higher education institution required.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and sustain interpersonal professional relationships required.
- Excellent analytical and written communication and presentation skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to work evenings and weekends and to travel to student conferences and events required.
- Experience with budget management required.
- Experience in a community college setting preferred.
- Knowledge and application of student development theory and student learning outcomes preferred.