Director of Financial Aid & Veterans AffairsGaston College
Gaston College in Dallas, NC is currently accepting applications for the following position: Director of Financial Aid & Veterans Affairs
The Director of Financial Aid and Veterans Affairs is responsible for planning, organizing, administration, and leading of the College’s Financial Aid Program. Ensures full compliance with all applicable regulations and recommends and administers institutional policies and procedures governing federal and state financial aid programs accordingly. Develops and manages the financial aid process with ongoing analysis and reporting of relevant data. Works collaboratively with various other departments including Admissions, Records and Registration, and the Business Office to integrate financial aid processes into enrollment management and related efforts that complement student recruitment and retention. Provides excellent service to all constituents of the College. This position reports to the Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Provides leadership for the daily operations of the Financial Aid Office and oversees the administration of federal, state, institutional, and private financial aid programs, including internal and external scholarships and veterans’ educational benefits and services.
• Supervises and evaluates the performance of staff; trains, and counsels according to established policies and procedures.
• Works collaboratively with various other departments including Admissions, Records and Registration, and the Business Office to integrate financial aid processes into enrollment management and related efforts that complement student recruitment and retention.
• Ensures compliance with all rules and regulations relevant to financial aid programs, including accrediting agencies’ rules relevant to financial aid.
• Oversees the processing of student applications, determination of student eligibility (e.g., satisfactory academic progress) for financial awards, notification of successful granting of awards, and disbursement of funds.
• Manages and administers account reconciliation and reporting of state and federal financial aid.
• Oversees student employment supported by state and federal financial aid.
• Applies for all federal and state funds and submits required reports.
• Administers Ellucian Colleague and manages ISIR and Pell/COD data load.
• Recommends, implements, administers, and oversees institutional policies, procedures, and systems to comply with all state and federal financial aid regulations, and accrediting agency requirements, and develops and maintains current financial aid resources and procedures manuals. Monitors compliance with institutional policies and procedures.
• Maintains a current working knowledge of state and federal financial aid regulations. Analyzes changes in regulations and recommends appropriate updates in policies, procedures, and/or practices.
• Develops and updates communications describing financial aid programs and services in accordance with federal consumer information laws, including publications and forms.
• Plans, designs, and implements innovative processes and systems to provide the highest quality of service to all constituencies served by the College.
• Counsels and advises students and family members on all aspects of financial aid including eligibility, application procedures, costs, processes, information resources, etc.
• Reviews and responds to financial aid appeals in a timely and professional manner.
• Administers departmental budget and participates in audit reviews.
• Maintains and correctly manages confidential information in accordance with FERPA regulations.
• Serves on College-wide committees and task forces to streamline processes and to develop and enhance working relationships within the College community as needed.
• Maintains a high standard of professionalism in representing the College including confidentiality in all aspects of the position’s responsibilities and adherence to policies, procedures, and other established guidelines. Adheres to professional accountability and accepts responsibility for managing situations and problems.
• Works cooperatively with team members and colleagues, contributing positively and constructively to the achievement of team and College objectives and provides a high level of service to customers by establishing and maintaining effective working relationships and partnerships.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education Qualifications:
• Master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution required.
Minimum Experience Qualifications:
• At least three (3) years’ experience in the administration of a financial aid program required.
• At least three (3) years’ experience at a supervisory/managerial level with strong leadership experience required.
• Strong knowledge of financial aid rules and regulations required.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with others required.
• Demonstrated commitment to providing excellent customer service required.
• High degree of organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks at the same time required.
• High degree of proficiency in verifying financial aid eligibility required.
• Ability to recognize, analyze, and solve problems required.
• Proficiency in MS Office software applications required.
• Experience with Ellucian Colleague preferred. Other Requirements
• Must be able to work a flexible schedule including nights and weekends as necessary.
• Must be able to travel, including overnight.
• Satisfactory criminal and credit background checks required.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the position's duties and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may be assigned, which should not be construed as expanding the position's role, scope, and/or grade.