Distance Education Specialist
Gaston College is seeking to fill the following positions: Distance Education Specialist
The Distance Education Specialist position is responsible for working in collaboration with the Vice President for Academic Affairs, Instructional Technology Specialist, and the Dean-Learning Resources in the development, implementation and maintenance of the college’s distance learning and online learning programs; Maintaining the College’s Learning Management System (LMS) for distance education; Assisting in the training of users and troubleshooting problems with the LMS; Assisting in the implementation of special projects pertaining to the College’s accreditation process. Position reports to the Chief Information Officer.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage course requests for the online delivery system including creating course shells for instructors, creating user IDs for new users, creating user IDs for continuing education students and managing student user access to the online delivery system.
- Research system known issues, manage technical support tickets submitted, participate in Blackboard cohorts for new features, participate in/attend any technical training as appropriate.
- Manage software updates such as monthly upgrades, building blocks, and vendor integrations.
- Compile semester enrollments for courses and students and maintain archives of online courses.
- Design and conduct professional development/training opportunities for both the distance learning and online learning programs to end users.
- Provide support in the administration of the online learning management system.
- Assist in the observation of distance learning instruction.
- Assist in coordination of distance learning classroom/lab equipment installation/training.
- Provide video/virtual conferencing resources to instructors and staff.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of distance learning training materials.
- Assist with technical support for the distance learning and administrative system (i.e. AVISO) end users (i.e. instructors and students, etc.).
- Assist in providing instructional support for teachers in effective use of distance learning labs.
- Remain current with online learning pedagogy, web conferencing applications and associated hardware.
- Create and maintain operational documentation.
- Attend meetings and participate on committees as necessary.
- Maintain a high standard of professionalism in representing the College including confidentiality in all aspects of the position’s responsibilities and adherence to policies, procedures, and other established guidelines as appropriate. Adhere to professional accountability and accept responsibility for managing situations and problems. Work cooperatively with team members and colleagues, contributing positively and constructively to the achievement of team and College objectives and provide a high level of service to customers by establishing and maintaining effective working relationships and partnerships.
- Perform other duties and related work as assigned.
MINIMUM EDUCATION QUALIFICATIONS
- Associate degree in business, computer technology, office administration, or related field required.
- Strong Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access) and data entry skills required.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS
- Leadership qualities and personal characteristics necessary for working effectively with all categories of college employees and constituents.
- Exemplary oral and written communication skills; strong organizational skills; proficient in the use of distance learning lab and mobile videoconferencing equipment; knowledge of current research and trends in technology education with an emphasis in video conferencing and online education
- Experience with learning management systems such as Blackboard, Moodle, Web CT, and Sakai required.