Health Education Training Specialist
Gaston College is seeking to fill the following position: Health Education Training Specialist
In collaboration with various healthcare programs serves as the liaison to coordinate and maintain a variety of duties related to the operational activities supporting healthcare continuing education classes, apprenticeship classes and the Gaston College American Heart Association (AHA) Training Center classes. This includes working closely with the healthcare departments to hire, monitor and coordinate training of new healthcare continuing education faculty and AHA instructors. Provides administrative support, which encompasses performing multiple duties, tasks and responsibilities related to reporting continuing education and apprenticeship data and other reports. Reports to the Director – Workforce Development.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborates effectively with the Economic and Workforce Development Division and the Health and Human Services Division in providing continuing education classes for the community healthcare arena.
- Serve as the coordinator for the AHA training center as required by the American Heart Association and follows established agreements and guidelines.
- Assist the Nurse Aide Coordinator, Director of Apprenticeships and Work-Based Learning and EMS Director in working with business and industry partners to facilitate interactions, assess needs, and develop appropriate healthcare training.
- Maintain records of all AHA instructors aligned with the training center and ensure that they have been entered into the AHA database.
- Assist in coordinating Annual CE courses for EMS agencies including rescue squads, fire departments, and local companies.
- Maintain records of all course documentation and appropriate supplies/materials used for classes.
- Submit all records and reports in a timely manner as requested.
- Coordinate and schedule ongoing AHA classes each academic year to share with industry partners.
- Initiate and track invoices.
- Provide guidance to our community partners by responding promptly to emails and phone calls requesting health education training.
- Coordinate all AHA training classes for Gaston College and the surrounding practice partners such as Gaston County Schools and CaroMont Regional Medical Center, which includes completing AHA Course Initiation Forms and forwarding them to the appropriate designee.
- Ensure all AHA instructors are trained, including skills evaluation for new hires and existing instructors. Enter all instructor information into the AHA Instructor Network website.
- Specialist will be responsible for maintaining the AHA book library and assuring the return of equipment and supplies after any off-campus class.
- Serve as an ACLS, PALS, BLS instructor to fill in as needed when another instructor is not available.
- Foster partnerships with community organizations, businesses, and healthcare agencies to provide AHA and health education training to meet their needs.
- Assist to maintain the Gaston College AHA training center’s website.
- Work with EMS secretary on AHA card distribution, monthly online class reports, payroll contracts and billing statements for AHA and other health education classes offered through continuing education.
- Works closely with the Health and Human Services Compliance Specialist to ensure all healthcare apprenticeship students and faculty meet clinical compliance requirements prior to entering clinical rotations.
- Respond to telephone, email, and in-person inquiries with a strong customer service focus; be prepared to handle sensitive and confidential information with tact.
- Maintain a high standard of professionalism in representing the College including confidentiality in all aspects of the position’s responsibilities and adherence to policies, procedures, and other established guidelines. Adhere to professional accountability and accept responsibility for managing situations and problems. Work cooperatively with team members and colleagues, contributing positively and constructively to the achievement of team and College objectives and provide a high level of service to customers by establishing and maintaining effective working relationships and partnerships.
- Perform other tasks required to maintain divisional compliance with external agencies and other related duties incidental to the work herein described.
MINIMUM EDUCATION QUALIFICATIONS
- Associate Degree from a nationally accredited institution required.
- Required advanced medical certification or licensure to include LPN, RN, Respiratory Therapist or Paramedic
- BCLS, ACLS, and PALS provider credentials required; Instructor credentials required within 6 months of employment.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS
- 3-5 years working in the field of EMT, Paramedic, Nursing and/or other healthcare related experience required.
- Teaching experience preferred.
- Must be a self-starter, organized, and detail-oriented.
- Capability to work independently, have excellent customer service skills, and ability to interact positively with division faculty and students is required.
- Demonstrated administrative competencies documented through internal testing or evaluations required.