In collaboration with the Senior Analytical Chemist and the Senior Dye Lab Technician, consult with textile clients on materials, methods, and operations, and perform testing and chemical analysis and dyeing and finishing services in accordance with industry standards. Analyze data, develop written reports, and provide analytical assessments based on data and experience.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plan and prioritize assigned laboratory activities and tasks according to customer needs, schedules and objectives.
- Conduct all work in full compliance with environmental, health, and safety protocols with specific emphasis on lab safety and keep lab and other work areas clean and organized.
- In collaboration with the Senior Analytical Chemist and the Senior Dye Lab Technician, consult with textile clients on materials, methods, and operations, and design and carry out timely lab experiments and testing (i.e., chemical analysis) and dyeing and finishing services in accordance with industry standards.
- Calibrate or coordinate the calibration of lab and related equipment as scheduled.
- Using standard methods and practices as per the American Association of Textile Chemists and Colorists (AATCC) and the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), make necessary adaptations to operate lab equipment within capabilities and perform testing and analysis.
- Operate lab and lab-related equipment including, but not limited to: Inductively Coupled Plasma Spectrophotometer (ICP), Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry (GC Mass Spec), Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC), Ultraviolet Visible Spectroscopy (UV-Vis), Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR), Atlas Launder meter, Package Dye Machines, Lab Jet Machines, and Spectrophotometer.
- Develop, implement, and follow procedures and methods to perform a wide-range of analyses of polymers, fibers, raw materials, and other production-related materials.
- Using laboratory and related equipment, perform material tests, analyze data, create and maintain clear and concise lab records and documentation, develop written reports, and provide analytical assessments (decisions) based on data and experience.
- Create and maintain or assist with creating and maintaining systems to track workflow and quantify analysis costs.
- Propose solutions to problems encountered during project evolution.
- May participate in training technicians or new employees.
- Participate on various campus-wide committees and meetings or activities as requested.
- Perform other duties as assigned including special projects.
MINIMUM EDUCATION QUALIFICATIONS:
- Associate degree (or higher) from a nationally accredited institution in chemistry or related field required, bachelor’s degree preferred.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS:
- At least 10 years’ experience as a textile chemist with experience in dyeing and finishing, chemistry and product testing preferred.