WIOA (Workforce Innovation and Opportunities Act) Youth Specialist-Life Skills
Gaston College is seeking to fill the following position: WIOA (Workforce Innovation and Opportunities Act) Youth Specialist-Life Skills
Under the supervision of the Youth Program Coordinator, provides career counseling, intensive job readiness, job search, and placement assistance, case management, and training/re-training and follow-up services to WIOA eligible youth.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conducts outreach and recruitment of youth customers.
- Conducts and maintains contacts with community organizations for the purpose of outreach, recruitment, and positive public relations.
- Orients customers to the services and eligibility requirements of the WIOA program in both group settings and individually.
- Determines eligibility and assists youth with enrollment into program services.
- Assists customers with their career planning and career decision-making process.
- Assesses customers' employment and training needs.
- Assists customers in identifying and addressing barriers to employment, and refers to services within the one-stop system as appropriate, or to community resources as necessary.
- Provides case management services to youth working to obtain a GED, HSE, or AHS diploma.
- Refers youth to other appropriate Youth Service Providers in the region for additional assistance.
- Provides job development and appropriate job referrals to WIOA youth customers.
- Conducts follow-up services with customers regarding their job search.
- Monitoring of youth services will include, but will not be limited to, eligibility determinations, documentation to support selective service registrations, citizenship, veteran's status, household size, and other demographic required documentation.
- Monitors youth performance outcomes.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Ability to provide positive, outstanding customer service.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- In order to provide the highest level of customer service, this position requires a thorough understanding of the job search process and the local area job market, job matching system, federal eligibility, Child Labor Laws, and other related items.
- Ability to interact positively with a variety of personalities and socio-economic populations.
- Ability to work in a team environment and provide support to fellow team members is essential.
- Problem-solving skills, organizational skills, time management skills, and excellent oral and written communications skills are essential.
- Proficiency in a variety of computer software applications is required, including Microsoft Office Suite, email, and Internet applications.
MINIMUM EDUCATION QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor's degree from a nationally accredited institution in career counseling, education, social work, human services, or a related field required.
- Master's degree from a nationally accredited institution preferred.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Two years' work experience in higher education, counseling, case management, monitoring, social work, or related field required.
- Experience with federal youth programs preferred.