Events Management Coordinator
The George Mason University Office of Research invites applications for an Events Management Coordinator. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
About the Research and Innovation Initiatives Department:
- The Research and Innovation Initiatives (RII) fosters a dynamic, supportive and growing research ecosystem. Provides support for the Mason faculty-postdoc-student community through programs, offices, centers and institutes including:
- Research Development Services;
- University Research Centers;
- Research Core Facilities;
- Institute for Biohealth Innovation;
- Institute for a Sustainable Earth; and
- Institute for Digital Innovation (in formation, launch Spring 2019).
Collectively these organizations are focused on supporting, connecting, communicating about, and convening researchers internally and with external partners. The Institutes are the primary way in which George Mason is organizing and supporting multidisciplinary research in the three identified strategic research areas for the university. University Centers are multidisciplinary research centers that are chartered at the university level to support targeted research in areas of high impact. Research Development Services assists the Mason faculty-postdoc-student community with the identification of external funding opportunities and the development of high-quality proposals, sponsored projects, and translational activities. University Core Facilities, including the Office of Research Computing, MRI Facility, and others, are cutting-edge facilities that are available to all members of the Mason research community. In total, this set of activities and resources are intended to create a vibrant supportive university environment where members of the Mason research community can thrive.
About the Position:
Reporting to the Associate Vice President, Research Innovation, the Events Management (EM) Coordinator will support the RII office and the Research Institutes and Transdisciplinary Centers for Advanced Study providing administrative and logistic support for meetings, seminars and other Institute/Center activities. The EM Coordinator will support larger events for the RII office, Institutes and Centers, such as conferences or convenings. The EM Coordinator will help coordinate activities across the units and communicate transdisciplinary events and opportunities to the university community as appropriate. The EM Coordinator will also provide assistance with Research Development Services website content management.
Coordinate and Manage Event Logistics
Coordinate and manage events sponsored by the RII office and Mason’s Research Institutes (ISE, IDIA, and as needed, IBI) and the Transdisciplinary Centers for Advanced Study. Serve as the primary point of contact for Institute and Center Directors and Administrators and Mason Events Management. Help secure space, and provide project management, logistic, and administrative services as needed for meetings, workshops, seminars, presentations, and conferences. Work with Mason and external groups to fulfill event needs such as catering, transportation, facilities management, and more. When necessary, coordinate, facilitate and lead virtual events, webinars and meetings using video conferencing platforms such as Zoom and Teams. Understand how to organize breakout rooms, recordings, and facilitate Q&As for those meetings. Investigate other video conferencing platforms as may be needed for larger events.
Coordinate Activities Across RII, Institutes and Centers
Work with faculty and staff within RII and across Research Institutes and Transdisciplinary Centers to coordinate activities and promote multidisciplinary and transdisciplinary opportunities. Update and maintain the Research Development Services website working with ITS and the other RII offices to ensure that the website provides the necessary information to support faculty.
Provide Support for Special Projects and Administrative Support
Support special projects to foster a multidisciplinary, innovative, and vibrant research community. Identify new opportunities to support a growing research environment. Provide additional administrative assistance as needed to support increasing staff telework and increase in Transdisciplinary Center support.
- Knowledge of scheduling and events management applications and offices;
- Familiarity with Teams, Zoom, and other video conference platforms;
- Advanced word processing skills (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint);
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to identify and forecast operational needs and manage daily operations;
- Experience in motivating and leading others;
- Ability to set goals, multi-task, prioritize tasks and meet deadlines;
- Effectively communicate with faculty, staff, and administrators across multiple disciplines and administrative offices;
- Ability to work well with co-workers and diverse faculty; and
- Ability to organize, facilitate and lead video conference meetings, webinars, and other events.
- Knowledge of Mason event applications and operational needs in a university academic building;
- Knowledge of university policies and procedures; and
- Familiarity with University scheduling applications (25Live; calendar/scheduling) and events management.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 02572z at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.