PAVING AND GRADING LABORERSRuston Paving Co Inc
Ruston Paving is currently hiring Paving and Grading Laborers for its Manassas, VA location
General Summary of the Position
The paving and grading laborer performs tasks involving physically demanding labor at construction projects. The individual may operate a variety of hand and power tools. May clean and prepare sites, clean up rubble and debris and remove waste materials. The individual may assist other workers.
(Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list of tasks is illustrative ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class. It does not imply that all positions within the class perform all of the duties listed, nor does it necessarily list all possible duties that may be assigned.)
- Perform a variety of tasks involving strenuous manual labor at construction projects in the preparation and construction of site work and paving projects.
- Hand shovel bituminous concrete (asphalt), aggregate and dirt into construction area.
- Clean, sweep, hand excavate and fill holes, trenches and ditches using various hand tools including but not limited to shovels, brooms, picks and jackhammers.
- Shovel, rake or lute bituminous concrete (asphalt), aggregate and dirt for fill to grade.
- Assist in patching and compacting bituminous concrete (asphalt), aggregate and dirt.
- Maintain a clean job site: pick up all tools and equipment and secure job site each day in order to eliminate potential hazards.
- Material handling inclusive of lifting, relocating, mixing/blending and application of construction materials and supplies for project use and storage.
- Load and unload trucks and haul and hoist materials.
- Ensure that proper safety and incident reporting procedures are followed. Bring problems to the attention of the Foreman, Safety Director or HR Manager.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Some knowledge of proper use of equipment, materials and supplies used in construction work.
- General knowledge of first aid and applicable safety precautions.
- Ability to work independently and complete daily activities according to work schedule.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
- Ability to use equipment and tools properly and safely.
- Ability to understand, follow and transmit written and oral instructions.
- Ability to meet attendance schedule with dependability and consistency.
- Ability to perform job requirements in adverse field conditions and all weather conditions.
- Ability to lift heavy objects, walk and stand for long periods of time and perform strenuous physical labor.
Education, Training and Experience
- Any combination of education and experience that demonstrates the knowledge and ability to perform the work as described.
- Site excavation and/or paving experience is preferred.
- Valid and appropriate in-state driver’s license or the ability to obtain said license is preferred.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. The employee is regularly required to stand; walk; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Noise level is generally loud.
- Must be able to quickly move arms and legs.
- Excellent stamina is required.
- Laundered uniforms and personal protective equipment are provided and must be worn in accordance with company policy.
- Employee shifts start and end at the division office/shop. Transportation to/from the jobsite is provided.
- Projects may require infrequent out of town overnight stays.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.