Medical Office Assistant
V Pain Clinic has a job opening for a Certified Medical Office Assistant in the clinical part of the office. Looking for an easy going, hard working person willing to assist with the procedures as well.
Position responsible for performing duties in both the clinical and administrative areas including assisting physicians with patient care and handling clerical, environmental, and logistical tasks.
(Regulatory Notes: Medical assistants must adhere to the MA scope of practice. Medical Assistants must protect patients' health information for confidentiality, authorized access for treatment and data security.)
Primary Job Responsibilities/Tasks may include, but not limited to:
Patient care responsibilities include
- Escort patients to exam rooms/procedure room, interviews patients, measure vital signs, including weight, blood pressure, pulse, temperature, collect patient history; perform screenings per provider guidelines, other physical examination preparations and document all information in patient's chart
- Assist patients as needed with walking transfers, dressing, collecting specimens
- Perform nursing procedures under supervision of physician or physician assistant
- Assist physician and physician assistant in exam rooms
- Give instructions to patients/families as instructed by physician or physician assistant
- Serves as the first point of response to patient care related telephone calls and messages. Takes telephone messages and provide feedback and answers to patient/physician/pharmacy calls
- Triage and process messages from patients and front office staff to physicians and physician assistant
- Assists with interventional procedures done under fluoroscopy guidance
- Initiate laboratory procedures in accordance with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) guidelines and quality control methods; Specimen handling
- Provides emergency triage, and first aid.
- Responds appropriately to emergency codes
- Schedules appointments and referrals. Follows-up to insure completion of physician orders.
- Medication refills
- Lab reconciliation
Clerical responsibilities include
- Assembles patients' health information including patient symptoms and medical history, exam results, X-ray reports, lab tests, diagnoses, and treatment plans.
- Ensures all related reports, labs and information is available in patients' medical records prior to their appointment.
- Reviews to ensure all forms are completed, properly identified, and signed and that all necessary information in the EHR.
- Communicates as needed with physicians and other health care professionals to clarify diagnoses or obtain additional information.
- Obtains and sends patient medical records to support seamless care delivery
- Ensure that records are sent within one work day of chart completion to all physicians involved in a patient's care.
- Obtains lab/X-ray reports, hospital notes, referral information, etc.;
- Completes forms/requisitions as needed;
- Schedules physician and ancillary appointments;
- Updates charts to ensure that information is complete and filed appropriately.
- Alerts physician when chart is incomplete or is has not been completed within established time standards.
- Strong ability to scribe - good typing, spelling and grammar.
Environmental/logistical responsibilities include
- Checks schedules and organizes patient flow;
- Sets up instruments and equipment according to department protocols;
- Cleans exam/procedure rooms, instruments, and equipment between patient visits to maintain infection control;
- Performs Medical/surgical asepsis, sterilization, instrument wrapping and autoclaving;
- Cleans sterilizer according to scheduled maintenance program and keeps appropriate records;
- Keeps exam rooms stocked with adequate medical supplies, orders, sorts, and stores supplies;
- Completes biohazard waste disposal and monitoring;
- Maintains all logs and required checks (i.e. refrigerator temperatures, emergency medications, expired medications, oxygen, cold sterilization fluid change, etc.)
- High school diploma or equivalent; some college preferred
- Medical Assistant certification
- Minimum one year of recent experience working in a medical facility as a medical assistant and/or documented evidence of externship completed in a medical office.
- Vital signs, starting the IV
- E.H.R. utilization
- Serving customers in person and on the phone
Physical Requirements & Skills:
- Work consistently requires walking, standing, sitting, lifting, reaching, stooping, bending, pushing, and pulling.
- Must be able to lift and support weight of 35 pounds in handling patients, equipment and supplies.
- Dexterity in hands and fingers.
- Ability to quickly respond to changing conditions and situations.
- Ability to concentrate on details
It is a full time position with benefits. Please submit the resume and a copy of your CMA diploma to email@example.com