Social Media EditorMcClatchy
The Charlotte Observer is hiring a social media editor to help shape and execute a strategy to engage audiences with our journalism on social platforms. The social media editor handles all of our social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and whatever comes next) and works with reporters and editors across our newsroom to get our journalism in front of readers and potential readers.
The social media editor will help set and execute strategy for growing audience and engagement. He or she will coach editors and reporters on the best social media practices so their posts reach the widest possible audience. This person understands how the needs of our audience must be at the center of the way we shape our stories and share them.
The social media editor works individually with reporters and editors and across the newsroom as a whole to help increase our reach and impact, as well as to help us build trust and loyalty with our readers. This editor plays a vital role in helping readers fully engage with their neighbors and communities through our journalism.
· Hands-on managing of our social platforms. Particular focus on managing the newsroom’s Facebook page, ensuring that stories posted are those most likely to engage Facebook readers – and that the post timing, share text, headline, summary and photo/video for each post maximizes our chances of success.
· Continually improving our best practices and learning of the best ways to get our journalism in front of readers.
· Developing social plans for major projects and events.
· Using analytics to help determine what an audience thirsts for.
· Working closely with editors and reporters to ensure that every story we produce is optimized for search before it is published.
· Training and assisting editors and reporters on the best use of Chartbeat, CrowdTangle and other analytics tools.
· Using these analytics tools to track newsroom progress, set benchmarks and make strategic decisions.
· Staying abreast of the constant changes in search and social media and communicating those changes to the newsrooms as appropriate.